Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Thlog #4 Organization

              Entering into this course I struggled a great deal with getting my idea down on paper and mapping them out. So when I came in I knew I was going to be looking for tools to improve in these areas. This has always been a challenge for me especially with big assignments.
            The first thing I used to do in the past was start writing my paper. I never took the time out to think through the topic or the idea before, This sometimes made me jumble up my ideas and jump all over the place because I wasn't structuring my paper correctly. This always made my papers seem all over the place whether from sentence to sentence or paragraph to paragraph the information just didn't flow properly.
           However, now with the many terms, skills, and techniques I've learned i feel way more secure at how my passages transition and flow. One of the things that helped me to structure my paper better was starting off with a concept map to get my ideas listed and see which ones are relative to one another so they can be close in the passage. This helps me capture the main idea of what I want to get across and what I can do to prove my argument. This helps me stay on track when I get lost or go off topic.It helps me keep my argument in tact.
         Another tool I use is to use the course vocabulary to be sure I'm making a strong academic argument. While using the vocab I know that I'm answering the right questions when talking about an author's writing.
           Also, I now look at all my sentences an attempt to transition them as best I can. Because now I am aware that when each sentence is apart of the last that's what creates the best flow and movement in a piece of writing.
        Lastly, transition words have been a huge help in my papers. Whether comparing, contrasting, or listing facts transition words are essential. They are used best to guide the reader along easily without rereading over an over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment